Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What does the future hold for Newspapers?

The way technology keeps advancing, I, unfortunately, don't see a lot of hope for newspapers in the future. With a push of a button anyone can view the latest news breaks or events from their phone, home computer, while sitting at work, at an airport or even during class while pretending to listen to what the Professor may be lecturing about (just kidding). If you asked me "when do I think the extinction of newspapers will occur?", I wouldn't be able to answer that with an obvious answer, obviously. However, I can honestly say, or in my opinion, I believe that newspapers will still be around in five or ten years, but in 30 or 40 years I don't think it's looking too pretty.

In all of my 24 years I don't believe I have sat down and really read through a newspaper. I'm not going to lie and say I've never opened one because I have. Before the internet was popular in my household, I remember I would have to look through the classifieds for employment, or maybe a friend would call me every once in a blue moon and tell me about a mutual friend who ended up in the paper. I remember a few occasions where I would open the newspaper and read the comic section while eating a bowl of cereal in the morning, but now that I think about it, I believe I only did that because I assumed people would think I was more intelligent by taking the time to read through the newspaper. It also helped that my mother worked at, what used to be called, The Tacoma News Tribune for 23 years.

In all, I don't have high hopes for the newspaper anymore, as sad as that may sound. I think in today's world people are so used to multi-tasking and being on the go that sometimes they don't have time to look through a newspaper especially when you can get the same information via the internet quicker.

4 comments:

Gossip Girl said...

I really like your point on what you think the future brings for the newspaper. Its similar to what I believe in as well. Id have to agree with you, since technology is advancing the newspaper will become less important. Also, I don’t think I’ve actually sat down and read the whole newspaper, never really interested me. Good post ( :.

Mindful Biz said...

well here's the spiff.. as much as I agree with you that the future of the newspaper is grim... do you think that they would have to charge people to view their content on the internet as an attempt to make up for their print subscription? Its sad, but I totally agree that it's not looking too promising...

scott1223 said...

I think the Professor explained it best: "Newspapers show the generational gap." 30 years from now, the next round of kids will say, "Wow, you had to use Google to find info?" and we'll have all these stories about how we used to have to type on a keyboard.

timmay said...

that's a great point about actually reading the newspaper. I only read the sports section most of the time and I always see all of the newspapers just pile up at my parents house. I wonder how many subscribers actually read it front to back everyday.